We are witnesses to that which is most important to us (our gods) by what we say and do.
* Do we help someone in need, or hold on to our money?
* Are we in love with worldly attractions?
* Are we respecters of persons (of wealth and fame) and look down upon the less fortunate?
* Do we radiate the love and joy of Christ in a Spirit-filled life, or pessimism about current affairs and a purposeless existence?
* Do people ask us to give a reason for the hope that is within us (in spite of our circumstances), or do they pity us in our suffering?
* Can strangers tell that we are Christians, that we have been with Jesus?
Scenario #1: You are called to the witness stand in a court of law to testify as a character witness for the accused, a neighbor of yours. The prosecuting attorney asks if you know your neighbor, and you reply that you do. Then she asks if you spend time with him, and can describe his family, and his joys, fears, and hopes for the future. When you admit that you cannot, the judge dismisses you, for you just know about him, and anything you say would be just hearsay.
Scenario #2: Your time is up, and you are standing before the Lord, in the ultimate court of law. The Lord asks if you know Jesus, and you reply that you do. Then He asks if you spend time with Him in His Word every day (where the Holy Spirit illumines and transforms our minds), in worship, and in prayer, and can describe His family, his joys, fears, and hopes for the future. How would you respond?
The words that none of us want to hear from the Lord are: “Depart from Me, for I never knew you.” (Matthew 7:23)
“I am the good shepherd. And I know My sheep, and My sheep know Me.” John 10:14
We can only be a witness to those things which we have seen, and heard, and know. Otherwise our witness is not authentic, real, and effective. Let us go forward and be a witness to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. And thanks to everyone involved in the “Every One His Witness” program; we look forward to sharing those insights with you in the near future.
To God be the glory
Board of Evangelism